One of my favourite patterns is the Margo pencil skirt by Seamwork. Now I have to say that the picture of the red version on the website doesn't really do it justice in my opinion and fortunately I didn't let that put me off.
I wanted a comfortable but smart skirt that I could wear in any season that would be flattering and the added bonus is that this is super quick to make. I love the shaped waistband/yoke at the top and the splits at the side which allow you to create that cinched in pencil shape whilst still being able to walk.
It is designed for medium to heavyweight knits with 2 way stretch, such as double knit, ponte, French terry, and sweater knits.
Sizing goes from XS to 3XL. This covers
waist sizes from 25 inches (63 cm) to 46 inches (117 cm) and
hip sizes from 35 inches (89 cm) to 58 inches (147 cm).
Size I Made
I made a medium (waist 29-30 1/2 and hip 39 - 40 1/2 inches) and didn't make any modifications to the pattern as it was a simple shape and I figured I could take it in if I needed to.
My Measurements and Body Type
Body type: I am an H shape from the front but I stick out a bit at the front at the boobs and at the back at the bum. I also have a bit of a rounded upper back (from too much time on a computer!)
Adjustments I Made
For the first version I didn't make any adjustments. I made the first version in a Bengaline which wasn't listed as a suggested fabric but worked really well.
The second version I made in a ponte roma and I added a stretch lining by cutting the front and back skirt again in the lining fabric and then hemming it slightly shorter than the main skirt.
I didn't even have to change the finished length as I love the way for me it finishes just on my calf.
Fabric I Used
For the original skirt I used a Bengaline which has quite a firm structure and lots of stretch. It is a black base with a bronze coloured geometric pattern. It is very comfortable to wear and holds it's shape well.
For the second version I used a gorgeous navy Ponte Roma from Sew Wardrobe which is quite soft to the touch but fairly heavy and I lined it with a navy stretch lining. I also added some clear elastic when I was sewing the top edges of the yoke/waist to help it retain its shape.
I loved the fit so much that I decided to use this pattern to make a hack version at a mini skirt length that I could wear with tights. I really liked the Seamwork Mabel skirt version 2 with the button placket down the centre.
So I decided to create a similar style using the Margo pattern. I had some of the Bengaline left over so decided that as I already had my money's worth from the first skirt I'd give it a go.
I am delighted with how it turned out. I initially put buttons on it but they seemed to just stick out so I subsequently took them off but I still love the effect of the placket and how the finished length works really well with thick tights.