Itch to Stitch Crystal Cove Cami Review

Itch to Stitch Crystal Cove Cami

When I designed my autumn collection (which is a fancy way of saying 'the list of things I planned to sew by the end of 2020',) I originally included a cream top using the Seamwork Emmie pattern.

However, after I made the toile I decided that the style didn't really suit me and so I decided instead to make the Itch to Stitch Crystal Cove Cami. The fabric I wanted to use from my stash was a cream satin that is quite shiny and I thought that this style would really show off and work well with the fabric.

Crystal Cove Cami with cross over back and rounded hem

At the time of writing it is winter in the UK and so a cami top might not be the obvious choice to make but I wanted to have something that I could layer up with long cardigans and then when the warmer weather eventually makes and appearance I can wear it then too.

The cami has rouleau spaghetti-style straps and a shallow V at the front. It also has a lovely overlapping cross over at the back with rounded hems. It has some shaping in the front with a couple of bust darts and slightly fitted shaping at the waist on the side seams.

It is designed for woven fabrics and the pattern comes with different bust cup options already built in.

Size Range

Sizing goes from 00 to 20. This covers

  • bust sizes from 30 1/8 inches (76.5cm) to 49 1/4 inches (125cm),

  • waist sizes from 25 3/8 inches (64.5cm) to 40 1/2 inches (103cm) and

  • hip sizes from 33 1/8 inches (84cm) to 43 1/4 inches (122.5cm).

There are also instructions on how to choose your size for the various different cup sizes on the website in the size chart section.

Size I Made

Initially I blended the sizes to go from size 4 at the bust to 6 at the waist and 8 at the hip.

After making the toile I made some adjustments and for the final version I made 4 at the bust and 6 at the waist and hips.

First toile of the C-cup - size 8 was a bit too big at the hip

I haven't tried the different cup options before for this brand so I cut toiles for the C cup and the D cup.

I ended up making the C cup as it fitted nicely around the bust and across the back but it did still need some adjustments (see below for details).

My Measurements and Body Type

Height: 5'2"

Bust: 36"

Waist: 30"

Hip: 40"

Bra: 32DD

Body type: I am an H shape from the front but I stick out a bit at the front at the boobs and at the back at the bum. I also have a bit of a rounded upper back (from too much time on a computer!)

Adjustments I Made

As with many patterns I needed to make some adjustments on the back as it did bunch up a little. On the toile I sewed a tacking line down the centre back to hold the two overlapping pieces where they should sit so that I didn't get thrown off by that.

It seemed like I needed to pull the back up to get it to sit right so I ended up doing a small sway back adjustment taking a bit more out at the centre back than the side seam. I shortened the centre back by 1 1/4 inches and the side seam by 3/4 inch.

Original fit on the back - some bunching around the waist

To compensate for the change to the length of the side seam I also increased the bust dart by 3/4 inch which helped to stop the front from sticking out at the bottom.

After adjustment to correct the length of the back